Top 10 tips on finding Commercial PropertyOctober 2021
Worcestershire is facing a record shortage of business accommodation, with manufacturing, warehousing and distribution space in particularly short supply. So what’s the best way of finding new premises? John Dillon, GJS Dillon’s Managing Director outlines his top 10 tips:
- Instruct an experienced Chartered Surveyor such as ourselves with expert local knowledge to act as your acquisition agent and let them do the work while you run your business. They will have access to properties which never come to the market and a wealth of experience in getting you the property you want.
- Start your search as soon as you can, once you know you need new premises. Two years before is ideal, as this can take a long time, especially if your chosen premises are new-build or are being purpose-built.
- Before you start to actively search, work out where you want to be, how much space you will need immediately and in the future, and what quality and specifications you need. We can carry out a space audit to help you work this out.
- If you are planning to move at the end of a lease, or to exercise a break clause, contact your solicitor to ensure that it is done at the right time and in the right way. Many notice periods are at least 12 months. The dates on which notice has to be given, and the method, often require legal interpretation. We often help clients to negotiate with their landlords when they leave premises as this requires expertise.
- Ask your surveyor if they know of any opportunities for new premises.
- Contact a building surveyor to help minimise dilapidation payments due to your landlord at the end of the lease.
- Search the internet for property listings in your desired location
- Register your requirements with your Chartered Surveyor. This ensures that you will be informed about new properties, as soon as they take one on. Many premises go so quickly they are never registered on websites. Keep in touch regularly to remind the agents you are still searching.
- List your requirements on the internet and via social media.
- Drive around your target area and make notes of vacant or occupied properties that fit your requirement then contact your local agent.
Our experienced team is always on hand to help you with your search. For further information contact 01905 676169 or take a look at our online guide to acquiring premisesReturn to News